This classic baked vegan Mac and Cheese is super cheesy, ooey, gooey and creamy.
I was craving Mac and Cheese shortly after going vegan, and didn’t have any nuts in the pantry. I wanted to achieve that ooey, gooey creamy texture. I remembered a vegan Mac and Cheese recipe by Chef Chloe that used butternut squash. So I decided to give it a try. The cheese sauce is a dream, creamy, gooey, decadent and luscious. The cheese sauce can be prepared up to five days in advance, so all you have to do is boil the pasta and bake.
The secret ingredient in this velvety cheese sauce is butternut squash. You can use cauliflower in place of the squash. But the squash gives it a rich, thick creamy consistency.
This cheese sauce is silky, smooth and decadent, and will make you give up the boxed stuff. Combined with the chickpea pasta, it’s a treat for your taste buds.
1 box shells, I use Banza Chikcpea shells
1 butternut squash, peeled, cubed and roasted (instructions follow)
1 cup oat milk
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- To make the Butternut Cheese, preheat oven to 400F, or 200C.
- peel and cube the butternut squash.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with a silpat (silicone baking mat) or parchment paper.
- Roast for 30 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Once cooled, puree in a blender with nutritional yeast, vinegar, spices and water.
- Add oat milk and blend til a smooth and creamy consistency is reached.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add pasta and cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Drai nand return pasta to pot.
- Preheat oven to 350F or 175C.
- Mix pasta with cheese sauce til well coated.
- In a casserole dish, layer mac and cheese, sprinkle breadcrumbs over top.
Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until breadcrumbs feel crispy.
Serve and enjoy.
This cheese sauce can be made up to five days in advance.
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram